24 minutes for this gentle Monday offering. Since I’m rather late getting to this, we’ll get straight down to it without mention of any oval-shaped ball game whatsoever.
1. PARMESAN – PAR[t] (part here being a division of a book) - actually, PAR the abbreviation for paragraph: thanks, Jack - + S in MEAN.
9. OKLAHOMA – OK + L + OMAHA* (anagram).
10. EARNER – ‘profitable job’; a sort of chiasmus of a clue, I think, where a new driver or LEARNER would be formed by adding L[eft] to an EARNER.
11. ICEBREAKER – C (the speed of light in a vacuum as featured in Einstein’s best known formula) in IE (‘that is’) + BREAKER.
12. FETA – F + ETA; no struggles in the group stage for this one: straight into the final of Easiest Clue of the Year.
13. PROSPECTUS – PUT PROCESS*.
16. PANICKY – PICKY around AN.
17. PILLORY – PILL + [d]O[u]R[l]Y. I didn’t know a PILL was a tiresome person; I thought that was a pillock.
20. VICTORIOUS – VICIOUS around TOR[y]. Um, not England…
22. ALLY – a sort of extended cryptic definition where our friend is verbALLY and editoriALLY useful. ‘Finalize’ with a zed raised an eyebrow.
23. TRENCHCOAT – TECHNOCRAT*.
25. TU[R]PIN – Dick of that ilk.
26. NOTIONAL – NOT I (‘disclaimer’ from the writer – as opposed perhaps to the speaker who would say ‘not me’, unless he were of a precise and slightly annoying persuasion) + ON (‘about’) + A + L[ine].
27. EMAILING – ME returned + AILING. My COD because it gave me something to smile about.
2. ANATHEMA – ANTHEM with one ‘an’ in and one after.
3. MONETARIST – IS in MONET + ART. City types can discuss the definition; Milton Friedman and his ferric protégée are the only two persons of that persuasion known to me.
4. STRIP POKER – moving swiftly on….
5. NOSE JOB – ‘knows’ [the book of] Job. Gathering even more speed…
6. SLUR – final letters of four words in the middle.
8. SACRISTY – RACISTS* + [jul]Y. A rather bizarre surface.
14. POINSETTIA – SET (‘put’) in IN A POT I*.
15. COLLATERAL – ‘security’; hidden.
16. PIVOTING – P + I + VOTING.
18. RELIGION – ‘faith’; LI (Lithium) in REGION.
19. MONOCLE – nice cryptic definition.
21. CHEATS – nice literal, straightforward cryptic: C + HEATS.
24. HAND – N in HAD (‘done’ or ‘cheated’).